Thursday, December 21, 2017

Who is on the mat next to you?

     Do you ever wonder about your fellow yogis, those that share your practice? I have been practicing for many years and this thought does cross my mind every once in a while. But, more often then not I come into the room, look around, set down my mat, open up and stretch before class and then take my self through a teacher-directed class, and when we say "namaste" off I go. 
   Today was different. I could not help but notice a woman walking very slowly into the room. It was evident that she was not feeling well. My eyes were drawn to her as we went through our practice. Her movements were slow and deliberate. There were asanas that were possible and others that needed modification. I remembered this person as I had seen her in class before floating into the room with a smile on her face. The energy surrounding her was shining out to all, so this change was worrisome. On my way out I wondered if I should ask. I did. I stopped and looked at her asking, "are you feeling okay?" She looked at me and responded, that she was going through a very difficult time in her life. I touched her arm and said that I was sorry. I walked away with tears in my eyes wondering what could I/should I have said. One always thinks about the response after because at the time you are so taken aback that your natural inclination is to say, I'm sorry. She is still on my mind. 
   As I drove home I wondered, as a yoga teacher, how many of our students story's may not be heard; either because we don't ask or the student wants to keep their life private. Can/should a teacher expect their students to bare all? As teachers we want to know who is in our class, and if there are concerns, how we can work together to make sure that those concerns are being honored. What would I have done? I want to honor my students practice and yet, I want to make sure that they know I am aware and I will be there for them, not only as a teacher but as a support. 
   Yet again, I leave my practice having learned to pay attention to those that practice with us, whether I am taking the class or teaching it; my eyes will pan the room to see who is setting out their mat and I will wonder what their story is. 

  Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra 
BallMindYoga Facebook Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment