As a yoga teacher I love to design themes for class. It is probably the High School teacher in me that can not let go of having a plan; researching ideas, forming a plan, and then setting out a sequence. My personal practice is where I learn so much about designing and teaching themes. I bring my journal to each class I attend and jot down asanas, or authors, or thoughts I have as I go through the class.
Today, I had a most wonderful class with one of my mentors. I have learned so much for her about how to align the body so the student is safe, modify a pose for those that need it, and strengthen my own teaching. I had a plan for my Gentle Alignment Class entitled "Relaxing our Shoulders," and what do you know, our class today focused on the shoulders. It must have been karma. As a result, as I sit here designing my sequence I have her on my shoulder (no pun intended) helping me out, taking away some of the stress of designing so that I can relax and just let it flow. Thank you Heather.
What can bring on stressful situations and how do our bodies react to them?
- Often times stress-tension-tightness settles into our shoulders. As a result we feel knots in our neck & shoulders.
- Wrapping ourselves up from the cold brings our shoulders inward in order to protect our torso.
- Planning the obligations in our lives can bring on tenseness and tightness in our shoulders.
Shoulder openers: opening your heart-opening your collarbone
Neck rolls: head side to side
Pectoral Stretch: using the wall
Wide Legged Forward Bend w/clasped hands (use of strap)
Tabletop: hand on head-open up & in and touch opposite elbow
Eagle
Cobra
Cowface w/tricep stretch (use of strap)
GENTLE ALIGNMENT SHOULDER SEQUENCE
WARM UP
Seated Meditation
Table Top
Cat n Cow
Hand exercises
Hand on Head/open up & in touch oppos. elbow
SUN SALUTATIONS
1/2 Surya Namaskar (forward fold -Tadasana)
Kneeling Sun Salutations/add low lunge w/twist
STANDING
Hands on shoulders: circles
Tadasana: arms out-internal/external rotations
Sumo Squat w/blocks
Wide Legged Forward Bend/reach over oppos. foot/switch
Warrior I w/block work/switch
Pectoral Stretch w/wall
Flow
SEATED (15)
Shoulder stretch
![]() |
| Deer Pose |
Eagle Arms
Twist chin over shoulder
90/90 twist (Deer Pose)/twist
Neck Rolls/head stretch
BACK (10)
Bridge
Leg work w/strap
Figure 4 w/twist
Supine Twist
SAVASANA (5)
Resources:
Deer Pose Photo: https://www.bodywindow.com (The Body Window: Healing Body, Mind & Soul)
Shoulder/Strap Photo: https://www.optp.com/files/image/item/LARGE/440-2_stretch-out-strap-shoulders.jpg
Shoulder/Strap Photo: https://www.optp.com/files/image/item/LARGE/440-2_stretch-out-strap-shoulders.jpg



No comments:
Post a Comment