I think that we have, at one time or another, been in a position where
we may have had to "leave our comfort zone." I have found myself being
challenged several times in my life; getting married, having children, going
back to school at the age of 40, leaving my teaching position after 18 years,
and then deciding to begin again at the age of 60 teaching yoga. Many a times I
thought that there was a swarm of bees in my stomach, times when I thought,
"I cannot do this, I am too __________," fill in the blank. I don't know enough, I am not experienced enough to teach a class at a well known clothing store. And
yet, as I look back at my life journey I wonder what might have been different
had I not trusted myself and took that leap of faith. ![]() |
| Lululemon |
Our practice for this week will be to think about our own limits, our own fears, & then find ways to move beyond them. To get out of our comfort zone and open the door to new possibilities, to new challenges; to asanas that may make us nervous. I remember when I first began my yoga practice the thought of standing on one foot, bending over, and then holding myself steady in Warrior III made the bees in my stomach begin to swarm. But, I decided that if I was going to "conquer" this pose I had to first acknowledge the fear I had and then move from there. Maybe if I looked at the pose and broke it down I could see where my nervousness was coming from. What part of the pose was I fearing? By tearing it apart I could make small wins, knowing that as I grew comfortable with the movement I would overcome my fear.
As I was doing research for this week’s theme I came across an article by Erica Rodefer entitled, "How to Teach Scary Yoga Poses”, She states that, "the experience of the present moment is only one reason to teach poses that might bring up fear for students. There's no way to overcome fear than to consciously confront it and learn to stand strong in the face of this challenging sensation. Then we are able to hold our center in the midst of scary situations we encounter both on and off the mat." Rodefer goes on to say that this fear, "must be handled with care, or it could have the opposite effect-to reinforce the fear that the student is experiencing." Each of us has a pose or poses that make us nervous. I would ask you to ponder the reasons why and, to ask yourself, "If I broke it down could I move beyond the fear. Are the limitations based on physical or emotional barriers? Is my practice based on whether I can complete this pose or not?
As I began to
plan the sequence I would share with my fellow yogis (to bring out the focus of
leaving your comfort zone) I thought of two asanas that can be a struggle for
me: Dancer (Natarajasana) and Warrior III (Virabhadrasana III). What better way to challenge myself to walk outside my circle of comfort than to design two sequences that address each of my "scary" asanas.
* Special Note: I had the honor of practicing with one of my favorite teachers, and a person that I see as a mentor Andrea. As always, as I travel to the yoga studio my notebook comes along so that I can watch, practice and jot down the flow. I often overcome my fear about a certain asana by learning from someone I trust how to work into it, and as a result, diminishing the fear I may have had. The first sequence (Warrior III) is taken from Andrea's class. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
* Special Note: I had the honor of practicing with one of my favorite teachers, and a person that I see as a mentor Andrea. As always, as I travel to the yoga studio my notebook comes along so that I can watch, practice and jot down the flow. I often overcome my fear about a certain asana by learning from someone I trust how to work into it, and as a result, diminishing the fear I may have had. The first sequence (Warrior III) is taken from Andrea's class. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Leaving your Comfort Zone Sequence II
OPENING
CNC w/leg & arm extension
C.P. w/two blocks-elbows
Bridge
Leg up Lengthening
WARMUP
Classical Sun Salutations w/low lunge
w/twists
w/goal post arms
F.F.
Tadasana: Shoulder work
w/strap behind back
w/internal & external rotation
STANDING/BALANCING
Tree
Crescent Lunge w/clasp hands
w/twist
Wide Legged F.F.
Tadasana
PEAK POSE
Wall: Quad stretch
Wall: Modified Dancer
F.F./Tadasana
REPEAT
SEATED
Seated Twist
Seated Outer Hip Stretch: 90/90 knees
TABLE TOP
Thread the Needle
Knees in
SAVASANA
Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra
BallMindYoga Facebook Page
Resources & Acknowledgements:
Rodefer, Erica, "How to Teach Scary Poses," https://www.yogajournal.com/teach/how-to-teach-scary-poses.
Warrior III Sequence: Andrea Russell
Warrior III Sequence: Andrea Russell




No comments:
Post a Comment