One of the joys of my teaching is when I visit an assisted living/nursing home to teach a Chair Yoga class to residents ranging in age from 70 to 90. Some may arrive in a wheel chair, others with their walkers, and still others on their own. I am absolutely amazed at the determination and openness they all have. For so many, they are being introduced to going beyond learning how to balance or how to use a strap to strengthen, to learning how to turn inward and focus on their breath and pay attention to what is occurring in their mind. And yet, each week I have about 15 residents attend and we have the most wonderful time.
BREATH-MOVEMENT-SPIRIT
SEATED
Grounding/Meditation
Breath work
Head work: Side to Side/Elbows in & out
Side to Side w/arm straight out
Bicep w/Strap
CNC/Feet out wide - dip shoulders
Knee up/Leg straight out & down
SUN SALUTATIONS
Inhale Hands up/Exhale down Goal Posts/Inhale lean forward/Exhale hands on knees slide down/
Inhale back up to knees & Exhale/Inhale hands up/Exhale to Heart Center
With each salutation add a TWIST/AIRPLANE WINGS/ELBOW TO WAIST/GRAB BEACH BALL
STANDING
Marching
Toe/Heel Raises
Straight Leg to Side/Abductor
Chair Squats
Down Dog
Warrior I/Cactus Arms
CHAIR SIDEWAYS/STANDING
Flamingo/Outside Leg Lift Bent Knee w/Same Raised Arm
SEATED
Strap Work w/Shoulders: Lift & lower 4x's to Belly Button-Chest-Chin-Forehead-Overhead
Strap Work w/Legs: Open to Side
Figure Four/Elbow on Knee/Chin on Fist
SAVASANA/SEATED
Breath Work
No comments:
Post a Comment