Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Breathe in All That Is....

I love the cold. Is that odd???? My husband, Sid and I went for an afternoon walk today. The sun was shining and you could see your breath. Breathing in was like putting your head in a refrigerator. Oh, it was cold, but it was worth it; as I feel so alive when I am in the cold. At times, I will stop and just breathe. I close my eyes and feel the inhale, reminding myself to take it slow and really "feel" the breath.The exhale leaves me a bit slower. I want to feel my body relax. 

Take on the challenge, throw on your coat, hat and mittens and take yourself outside. Brave the cold, take a walk, and breathe. The benefits will benefit you, not only physically: as we spend time out in the sun our bodies are producing Vitamin D; which has a "bone-strengthening" benefit, but also emotionally. The winter can seem to drag on for months (in some areas it does drag on), so getting outside can, "release endorphins, key to picking up our mood." (moderate amounts that last about 20-30 minutes). Even taking a short walk is better than holding up in doors. Physically, taking a walk, "helps you burn extra calories and stay fit." Imagine how hard your body needs to work to stay warm on that 31 degree day (today).  According to Alan Mikesky, Ph.D., "cold air can clear your mind and reduce stress.... even if you have to walk slower (walking with someone who has had knee replacement surgery), you are burning calories." 

TOOLS FOR SEQUENCE:
2 blankets, bolster, 2 blocks 

"Breathe in All That Is"

SEATED OR CONSTRUCTIVE REST MEDITATION (5-7 min.)

Breath of Life (Danna Faulds)

I breathe in All That Is-
Awareness expanding
to take everything in,
as if my heart beats
the world into being.
From the unnamed vastness beneath the
mind, I breathe my way to wholeness and healing.
Inhalation. Exhalation.
Each Breath a "yes,"
and a letting go, a journey, and a coming home.


BELLY/BOLSTER UNDER HIPS (5-8 min.)
Brahmari Breath (humming bee breath)**
Head on block/arms at side/knee caps off mat/lift 1 leg: repeat (6)
Legs back/Arms straight/Lift & Lower opposite sides (6x's)


SEATED/Blanket (5 min.)
Windshield Wipers/Hold 90/90 Stretch
Twist Stretch
Head Work/Hand Work


TABLETOP (5-8 min.)Blanket under hands & knees
Cat n Cow
Knee In/Leg out/Leg up: bend & straighten
Knee In/Circles
Thread the Needle: hands on blanket


SUN SALUTATIONS (3) (10 min.)
1. DD./FF./Plank/Cobra: internal rotation hands back: pulse
2. 90/90 Lunge w/Twist
3. Low Lunge knee up w/Twist (blocks)


STANDING (15 min.)
½ Sun Salutations
Chair
Crescent/internal rotation: pulse hands back & up
Warrior I
Low Lunge/Twist (blocks)
Tadasana
FLOW/REPEAT


Squat/Eagle Arms/Curl In
Wide Legged w/Support


BACK/BOLSTER (5 min.)
Feet on Bolster/Tap Thymus Gland ***
Figure 4/Feet/hold arch & knee/drap oppos. leg over bolster SWITCH
Cobbler


SAVASANA (5 min.)
Drap legs over bolster (choice)
Long body/arms at side

Constructive Rest (lower back concerns)



 Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra 
BallMindYoga Facebook Page 

Resources:
Heimbuch, Jayme, "3 Health Benefits of Walking in the Winter," January 29, 2016. https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/3-health-benefits-walking-winter

No comments:

Post a Comment