Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Who Am I? I Am That.

Thank you Crystal for this most wonderful practice. I learn so much, not only from the yogis I teach, but also when I too become the yogi. My journal accompanies me to each class I attend. A note here or there. A diagram, mudra or mantra recorded. And, at the end, taking time to write. Many a time, I find inspiration in the classes I go to. Taking the time to debrief really helps one delve deeper into their practice.
This practice focused on our foundation; our feet. I imagine my feet like the roots of a tree; grounding me to the earth. Our practice began in Sukhasana (Easy Seated Asana). Crystal brought out a Sanskrit word that I had not heard of during my teacher training, nor my learning after; "Dhi." She used this concept of Dhi as an invitation to connect with ourselves during this season of Vatta; this time of movement.
According to Yogapedia, Dhi is, "is a Sanskrit word that has several meanings; all related to the activities of the mind." Dhi has several connotations, but according to Hindu thought, "it is more of the intellect's processing of a particular thought, like a gut feeling or intuition." In Rod Stryker's book The Four Desires he defines Dhi as, "this inner voice of higher wisdom that knows and is capable of guiding you to do precisely the right thing at precisely the right time. In effect, dhi is the light of the inner teacher that dwells within you. Intuition is your way of hearing it .In other words it is through the honing of light of the teacher that we can begin to clearly hear intuition." In addition, "the dhi must be convinced for a thought to be accepted." If we are struggling to connect with one's self, we can ask your dhi for guidance. Take the time to create a relationship with your inner self.
How can we ask for guidance? By asking questions of ourself. "Who am I?" In Sanskrit it is Ko Hum(Koham). I sit in Sukhasana, with eyes closed and breath calm repeating this mantra in my mind, "KoHum," who am I? The answer is "So Hum" (Soham), "I am," I am that; I am that I am.
In meditation, as you Inhale ask yourself, Ko Hum, "Who Am I?", and listen with our judgement, on the Exhale answer with, Sohum, "that I am." Repeat this mantra as you sit. Feel what you feel.

PROPS: Mat, Blanket, Ball, Bolster

MINDFUL YOGA: GROUNDING IN A TIME OF MOVEMENT

OPENING/SEATED
Mudra/Breath/ Words
Slapping/Tapping/Rubbing
Circle Hands/Feet

STANDING
Tadasana: Grounding
Feet/Ball (under toe pads-middle of arch)
Twist

STANDING/WALL/FEET
Heel/Toe
March
Tops of Feet/Heel
Outside/Inside

Big Hip Circles

TABLETOP
Hands
CNC
Hip Circles
Long Leg/Cross
Long Leg/Press Back
Long Leg/Pick up Towel 

CP

BACK
Wind Relieving Pose
Happy Baby/Strap
Legs up V slowly cross
Leg Sweeps
Windshield Wipers/Hold

SAVASANA

No comments:

Post a Comment