Overcoming Obstacles
My husband and I traveled to the countryside over the holidays to visit the home my sister and her husband, who along with several family members, built. It would be our first visit since we stopped by in the spring while on a motorcycle excursion. We pass beautiful rock formations with ice falls and farm animals whose breath can be seen as it is very cold out. I always wonder how they do it. How do they handle the bitter cold? The temperature on the Highlander says -6.
The road to their home is paved until you turn into their driveway which slopes down over a creek then up to the house, always interesting to navigate any time of the year. If one was to go past their home the road becomes gravel and is known to be, at times, treacherous. We have always wondered what the road looks like, what was beyond the paved road? Why don't we go past and travel into the unknown? Why should a path that we have only heard about become such an obstacle? After celebrating with loved ones it was time to take our leave and head for home. When we visited in the spring there was no question that we would not take the road going up because we were worried about navigating loose gravel and potential ruts. Now, that we had the SUV, the road did not seem to be such an obstacle, though we were still worried because there had been snow and we had no idea what the road looked like. BUT, we were determined to overcome our hesitation and take ourselves on the road less traveled. Turning the vehicle onto the gravel road we were met with a slide to the side and I thought, "oh god, what have we gotten ourselves into?!" Yet, with Sid I feel safe and my fears are put aside as we travel up the hill, taking our time, and like explorers traveling into the unknown on we went. The sun was shining, the fields covered in snow, looked peaceful and the tree limbs looked like they had been painted white with a snow brush. I looked over at my husband, and though he very focused, there was a bit of a smile on his face. Down the hill we traveled taking ourselves deeper into the valley, slowing to maneuver the corners as the drop offs were deep. Finally, the road flattened out and we passed a few farms and a camper out in the middle of a wetland (both of us went, "what?"), coming to the stop sign ending our journey on the infamous gravel road. We made it! We overcame our hesitations, this road, which had been an obstacle to us was won. Little did we know that this obstacle would become a most magnificent surprise.
We had barely turned onto the highway when my husband abruptly stops the vehicle and looks up with a look of surprise on his face. "Look up", he said. There in the tree were two bald eagles. For those that know me, know that I always carry my camera taking photos of my journeys. I was mesmerized. "Why don't you get out and try to get closer?" And, I did. Slowly, I opened the door and as quietly as I could walked around the front and took a few more.
My heart was pounding. I grew up in Sauk City/Prairie du Sac, so I have seen eagles throughout my life, but to see them here, in the middle of nowhere was exciting. They flew around, but not away, coming back to the same set of trees. Again, I quietly opened the door and looked at my man, who was still smiling, and we sat there in awe; and I wondered to myself and then aloud, what we might have missed had we not overcame our concerns surrounding this road.
![]() |
| Garudasana: Eagle w/modifcations |
Life's adventures and their messages can also be shared. I knew what my lesson would be the following day in Gentle Yoga. As we brought our bodies and minds into a modified Garudasana (Eagle) I told the story and what I took away from our adventure. After class was over we continued our conversation about obstacles and their meanings. Each person could relate to my message. For one it was the fear of going on a trip to a foreign country, not knowing what they would find. For another it was the difficulties of a health concern, not knowing its progression.
Today, as we were preparing for class, one of my dear yogis told me that she decided to take a class that she had never been to, remembering the "obstacle/eagle" story from the week before. And again, she too discovered that had she let the obstacle control her decision she would have never known that the teacher was a friend. All her fears were put aside and she had the most wonderful practice. As she ended her story I heard her remark that she told her teacher the story of overcoming obstacles. And I thought, the message has been shared, has been "flown" from one to many, much like the soaring eagle.
Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra
BallMindYoga Facebook Page



No comments:
Post a Comment