Morning Meditation
Breakfast
Ayurvedic Teachings & Asana Practice
Supper Clear Cafe
Barong Dance Ubud Palace
You are probably wondering about the title of this post, "stop complaining and enjoy the experience." Well, I found myself falling into negative self-thought and self-talk in my head during my retreat. It had been raining for two days and I was finding myself focusing on my environment and what was wrong (in my eyes) with it. Staying in a tropical climate one would assume that you are going to be living with rain and creatures which inhabit it.
Everyday I would find at least one to two frogs behind the curtains. And, after two days of continuous rain our bathroom, which is exposed to the elements was flooded. I was getting frustrated. And, to top it off, I was coming down with a cold. Needless to say I was questioning why me...
Meditation & Breath
Usually during meditation the focus should be on your breath and not on frogs, and the rain, and a stuffy nose. But there I was totally distracted by all that I thought was wrong. Finally, I said to myself, "Stop complaining and enjoy the experience. Appreciate the experience and don't fall into the abyss of negativity." Instead, as I took an inhale I brought myself back to my breath and on the exhale focused on letting go of the heaviness I was feeling. I wanted to feel light and not bogged down by self-pity.
Did it work? Yes, but not without accepting how I as feeling for what it was. At lunch, I discovered that the entire Shala was dealing with this concern. It was not all about me. Andrea, helped me out so much by giving me a Chinese herbal medicine which helped with the stuffiness and sore throat. What I did learn though is that I need to voice when I am feeling frustrated so that it does not fester; which can be very hard for me to do. But, by opening myself my concerns were heard,respected, and in the end, I was able to put aside.
Ayurvedic Doshas
![]() |
| Three Doshas |
*I will include a link to a website (under the Dosha chart) which will give a wonderful explanation of the Doshas, the elements and where you might find yourself.
Asana Practice
Our asana practice today was just what I needed: heat to my body with movement, opening the chest/heart, and lastly, pranayama breathing helping to clear my sinuses.
Props needed: 2 blocks, bolster & blanket.
RETREAT SEQUENCE III
CAMEL PREP
OPENING
Meditation/Grounding
BACK
Hip Bridge
CNC slow
STANDING
Shoulder circles/hands on shoulders
SUN SALUTATIONS
Cobra: Spider Fingers
Cobra:Hamstring Wakeup
STANDING
Chair Squat/up & back
Warrior I/ step backs
Warrior II/ up & down - hold
Side Angle
Triangle
Wide Legged FF w/Twist
Lunge Twist
BACK
Bridge
KNEES
Shin Stand/back n forth
WALL
Block at Sternum/Thoracic Spine
Block at thighs/Camel (blocks under feet)
DD
SEATED
90/90 Twist
Wide Leg FF/Right side/Left side
Wide Leg/Forward
Staff Fold
90/90 Twist over bolster
Supported Backbend over bolster
Cobbler
PRANAYAMA BREATHING
SAVASANA
Afternoon Adventure:
Shopping with a new yogi, Nicole. Supper at The Clear Cafe. Barong Dance at the Ubud Palace.
![]() |
| Wonderful Vegetarian Dinner w/fresh fruit juice |
| Barong Dance |
| Barong Ket, it takes shape like an animal mix between tiger, lion, dragon and a cow shape. |
Resources:
Ayurveda 101: http://www.eattasteheal.com/ayurveda101/eth_bodytypes.htm


No comments:
Post a Comment