Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Plant your Seed. Ground Yourself to the Earth.

Gardening has been a part of my life since I was a child. I have fond memories of sitting on a wooden sled, being pulled by my father. Its runners making indents in the freshly tilled soil; neat rows for our treasured seeds. One had to be old enough to be heavy enough to sit on the sled; we saw it as a honor, a right of passage. Once the rows were made it was time to plant the seeds. Each seed had to be just the right distance from the one before it so that we were not  "wasting" seeds. Much of our families canning came from the garden; tomatoes, beans (which were hit or miss), beets, and cucumbers.
Each and every house that I have lived in since has had a garden. I feel as though I have dirt in my veins. I love kneeling or sitting in my garden and running my hands through the rich black soil. I smile when I dig up worms; knowing that they are the "mini tillers" of the soil.
At times, when I am gardening I get so engrossed in what I am doing that I don't pay attention to "how" I am doing the digging or planting until I stand up and then the regrets set in. My lower back is tight and just the thought of stretching it out brings pain. My shoulders and hands are sore from using the spade to dig holes for each plant. And yet, I love gardening. Each one of my gardens brings me intense pleasure; which helps diminish the pain that I may endure.  What I have learned to do is take time before I plant to go through a routine that both strengthens the muscle groups I will need to garden and stretches those groups so that I can bend, and dig with a better sense of grounding.

PROPS: Mat, Strap, Blanket, Bolster, Block



MINDFUL YOGA FOR GARDENERS


Standing Camel
Toe/Arch Stretch







Tree w/Support



Bring to mind a place in nature that has special meaning in your heart.
A place that you find yourself coming back to over and over. Choose one aspect
of this place that draws you there and visualize it in your mind.
See it, hear it, touch it.

 Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra 
BallMindYoga Facebook Page 


No comments:

Post a Comment