Imagine these most beautiful colored spinning wheels of energy that begin at the base of your spine and travel all the way to the crown of your head. I have always been very curious to find out about these wheels of energy and the impact they play on my life. I want to make sure that when I bring up the chakras that I am giving my people correct information. Yoga Mentor and Ayurvedic Specialist, Indu Arora, wrote a piece, “5 Things We Got Wrong about Chakras,” which gives us, through her research, an understanding of the meaning of Chakra and some of the misconceptions that surround them. As I read her article I found that I was promoting some of these misconceptions.
Lets begin with the definition:
The meaning is derived from the sandhi (union) of Cha + Kra where Cha from Chalana means “to move, to animate, to propel,” and Kra from Karoti, means “to create, to cause, to inspire.”
The word chakra may mean many things, including the most common interpretation of these centers of consciousness—wheel, circular, disc, or center. "Cha" (to move) "kra" ( to cause). "That which causes movement. That which causes animation. That which causes an form of movement, transformation or propulsion/moving forward. That which causes movement and allows the subtle energy to transform into gross energy. Moving toward/movement into, movement away from."
These wheels of energy are like the power stations of the body; they bring the body to life and keep it healthy, both physically and emotionally. The chakras absorb energy which may come from our thoughts and from the outside environment.
Chalana karoti iti chakra—this is the definition of chakras—which means “that which propels, causes, inspires movement, and animates is a chakra.”
The meaning is derived from the sandhi (union) of Cha + Kra where Cha from Chalana means “to move, to animate, to propel,” and Kra from Karoti, means “to create, to cause, to inspire.”
The word chakra may mean many things, including the most common interpretation of these centers of consciousness—wheel, circular, disc, or center.
Indu Arora gives us the 5 things which are often stated wrongly about Chakras:
1) Mispronunciation: It is not pronounced as shuck-ruh or shAck-ruh or even chalk-ruh. The correct pronunciation in Sanskrit is Chuck-rr(a)/ /ˈtʃæk.rə/ (American English)
2) 7 is half the truth: Even though the mass understanding is that we have 7 main chakras, the actual number can be as few as 4 and as many as 14, or even more. We lack a reference point, a text, and a context. The text can give us the realistic context around number, location, color, symbol, purpose, etc. For example, in Yoga Sutras, there are 5 main chakras listed for concentration, in Netra Tantra there are 6 chakras, Tantraloka talks about 5 chakras, and Shad Chakra Nirupana discusses 6 chakras.
3) Chakra Balancing is an oxymoron: Often, I hear terms like “chakra blockage,” a chakra imbalance for which the solution is often through chakra diagnosis (through pendulum dowsing, analysis of physical, pranic, and emotional symptoms, or other methods for Chakra balancing, chakra opening, chakra tuning, chakra healing, chakra cleanse, chakra yoga, chakra massage, etc.). Chakras do not need opening because they are closed. They do not need healing because they are diseased. They also do not need balancing because they are imbalanced, or a cleanse, tuning, etc. Chakras simply are internal, subtle points of focus for the mind for the sake of meditation, puja, bhuta shuddha, etc. It is okay if several terms are new here…become curious instead of being overwhelmed.
P.S. I am not saying that these things might not have worked for someone, I am not here to deny someone’s experience. My intention is to share that there is no such reference (in my limited exploration and studies) in Vedic and Tantrik texts. Let us be realistic. We are making things up about Chakras.
4) Chakra Misappropriation: We have commercialized chakras through rainbow-colored keychains, t-shirts, jewelry, candles, incense, essential oils, diet, etc. Merely wearing or surrounding ourselves with rainbow colored food or merchandise won’t awaken the mind to higher levels of consciousness. These are centers of awareness, not a catchy commodity.
5) Kundalini High: Kundalini awakening is often associated with sequential chakra opening and kundalini energy rising from the root to the crown, giving the practitioner varied experiences. However, Kundalini both ascends and descends, and not just that, eventually it rests in peace in the heart of the heart in complete repose. It does not just stays awakened leading to a constant high.
Let us take a pledge to have context in our practice. Let us be sincerely curious and less compliant. Indu Arora
Violet/ or white (color permeating space coorelates with the divine) "Sahasrara" (thousand/thousand petalled lotus). The main point that absorbs all energies in all their permutations & combinations & becomes the seat of silence.
It is located about two inches above the crown of the head; beyond the physical body itself. It is associated with the cerebral cortex, central nervous system and the pituitary gland. It is the chakra of enlightenment; the ability to connect spiritually. It is said to be the place of connection to a higher entity, divine purpose and personal destiny. Every element of the previous chakras are already here and blend at the crown. To be in balance there is a feeling of bliss and one can experience all with a deeper understanding. Imbalance may present itself as a feeling of instability, unstable physically, a lack of connection with the world, and a lack of focus.
Movements to balance chakra:
Sukhasana (Seated Pose), Lotus/Half Lotus, Tree, Reverse Prayer (stand or child's pose), Nadhi Shodahana
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I UNDERSTAND
I accept & receive divine guidance.
I am one with the universe.
I live with divine purpose.
I am a being of light & love.
I am open to new ideas.
The world is my teacher.
I am guided by my inner wisdom.
Chakra 6 – Ajana - The Third Eye/Time-Light
Indigo(mystical, magical color, spiritual wisdom). "Ajna" (permission/command) A place from where you receive or give yourself permission or you receive the grace from within yourself and the command to move forth, to move forward.
It is located at the cent of the forehead between the eyebrows to slightly above. This Chakra is used to question the spiritual nature of one's life. It is the Chakra of question, perception and knowing and the ability to make decisions. It is concerned with inner vision, intuition and wisdom. Dreams for this life and recollections of other lifetimes are held in the Ajana Chakra. A balanced chakra one trust our inner wisdom. Imbalance may present itself as problems, like lack of foresight & feeling close minded, mental rigidity, ‘selective’ memory and depression.
Movements to balance chakra:
Seated Head to Knee, Forward bend, Humble Warrior, Wide Legged FF, Balasana (child's pose), Adho Mukha Shavasana (Down Dog)
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I SEE
I follow my inner guidance.
I am open to inspiration and bliss.
I am open to the wisdom within me.
My intuition guides me daily.
Chakra 5 - Vishuddha - The Throat/Ether-Joy
Blue or turquoise in color and is located within the base of the throat to the center of the eyes. "Vis" ( that which can not be impure, that which is always pure; that which is innately pure), "huddhi" (pure, perfect, purified).
It is the Chakra of communication, creativity, self-expression and judgement. This chakra is considered the, "bridge between the heart & the mind." It is associated with the mouth, tongue, & neck, shoulders, arms, hands, thyroid and parathyroid glands. The Vishuddha Chakra is the place of truth, purpose, creativity and individuality; where one project's the authentic self. Imbalance may present itself as a sore throat, thyroid issues, and TMJ. In addition one might have creative blocks, dishonesty or general problems in communicating one's needs to others.
Movements to balance chakra:
Padamasana (lotus), Matyasana (supported fish), Ujjayi (Ocean Breath), Lion's Breath (w/CNC), Plow, Shoulder Stand/Head Stand
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I SPEAK
I accept reality & appreciate the world around me.
I trust my inner wisdom.
My intuition guides me on the right path.
I feel balanced & aware.
I see my true nature & honor myself.
Chakra 4 – Anahata - The Heart/Air-Peace
Green(associated with life and renewal) "Ana" (that which can not be created & cannot be destroyed; unstruck sound. Home of the AUM/OM), "hata" (the subtlest of sound that can be created by two objects).
The heart chakra is located at the center of the chest. It is the center of love, compassion, harmony and peace. It is said that this is the house of the soul. The Anahata Chakra is associated with the lungs, heart, arms, hands and thymus gland. Open the heart to receive the breath. The Anahata Chakra is the place of love, compassion, inner peace and trust. To see things as they are without being clouded by the ego. Imbalance may present itself in the immune system, lung and heart problems, or manifest as inhumanity, lack of compassion or unprincipled behavior.
Movements to balance chakra:
Bhujangasana (Sphinx/Seal), Anahatasana, Backbends (bridge, fish, Camel) Warrior I
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I LOVE
I can communicate clearly.
I speak my truth freely, openly, and honestly.
I am accountable for expressing myself clearly & truthfully.
My honesty attracts honesty.
By voicing my desires, I am able to receive.
Chakra 3 – Manipura - The Solar Plexus/Fire-Love
Yellow (denotes power & purity) "Mani" (semi-precious stones), "Pura (Palace). Palace of Jewels. That which lies dormant within us, like semi-precious jewels-that is not yet awakened.
Manipura Chakra is found between the navel and the sternum. This chakra is concerned with one's digestive system, muscles, pancreas and adrenals. The Manipura Chakra is the seat of emotional life. Feelings of personal power, self-control, laughter, intellect, will, joy and anger are associated with this chakra. Sensitivity, ambition and ability to achieve and self control are found here. Imbalance may present itself as anger, frustration, lack of direction.
Movements to balance chakra:
Jathara Parivartanasana (Supine Twists), Forward Folds, CNC, Planks, Pranayama Breathing
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I DO
I am enough.
I love and accept myself.
I have the power to manifest my dreams.
I trust and believe in myself.
Courage flows through me.
I am strong, confident, motivated and powerful.
Chakra 2 – Svadhisthana -The Sacral/Water-Belonging
Orange (combination of gold/yellow and red; denoting power & passion) "Svad" (self or one's self), "histhana" (abode, home, place). The residing place of the self or the residing place of the self. "Self," the most comfortable/innate place for the innate potent energy to reside.
The Sacral chakra is located two inches below the belly button. It is associated with the lower abdomen, kidneys, bladder, circulatory system and the reproductive organs and glands. It is concerned with emotion. The Sacral Chakra represents one's feelings of desire, pleasure, sexuality, procreation and creativity and wellbeing. Imbalance may present itself as as emotional problems, compulsive or obsessive behavior and sexual guilt.
Movements to balance chakra:
Baddha Konasana (Cobbler/Butterfly), Upavistha Knoasana (Dragonfly), Balasana, Navasana (Boat), Low Lunge
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I FEEL
I am creative.
I feel alive.
I am beautiful, radiant, and strong.
I enjoy a healthy, passionate life.
I allow creative energy to flow through me.
Chakra 1- Muladhara - Root Chakra/Earth-Compassion
Red (passion & energy, emotional stability) "Mula" (source, sum, total, foundation, root), "dhara" (that which holds). That which holds the sum total of energy; that which serves the foundation.
This chakra is located at the perineum, base of your spine, near the tailbone. It is the Chakra closest to the earth. The function of the Muladhara Chakra is concerned with earthly grounding and physical survival. This Chakra is associated with the legs, feet, bones, large intestine and adrenal glands. Survival, standing up for yourself, financial independence and security are associated with this chakra. It controls one's fight or flight response. Imbalance may present itself as paranoia, fear, procrastination and defensiveness.
Movements to balance chakra:
Samasthitih (mountain), Paschimottanasana (Caterpillar), Sukhasana (Easy Seated), Tree, Warrior Series, Sun Salutations
Mantras/Sankalpas:
I AM
I am safe.
I am centered and grounded.
I am safe, confident and at peace.
I am connected to my body and acknowledge its needs.
The earth supports me.
Resources:
https://chopra.com/articles/7-yoga-poses-to-connect-you-to-the-air-element
https://desertyogatherapy.com/the-air-element/ Jayne Robertson
https://www.yogajournal.com/teach/purifying-the-five-elements-of-our-being
Description of Chakras: https://lyndsayarundalelevel4educationandtraining.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/7-chakra-handout.pdfhttps://www.yogsadhna.com/library/for_your_soul/5_things_we_got_wrong_about_chakras


No comments:
Post a Comment