Sunday, January 26, 2020

I'll be Happy when.....

How often do you find yourself saying, "I'll be happy when I .... When I get this... or When I buy this or have this..... I will be happy." I, along with a large percentage of society share in this belief. Over and over again we tell ourselves that it only takes a new set of clothes, or a fresh new face, losing weight, or a big house to be happy. And, then when we obtain this treasure, we look to the next thing, or idea to strive for.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing to strive for, to want to challenge ourselves, to work towards a goal.  But, we need to rethink the goal when we believe that our happiness is based upon it. I remember as a teenager working so hard to lose weight, thinking to myself that when I did I would fit into clothes that we too tight months back, and my social life would grow finding myself attractive to the boys. Looking back, many years later, I still remember this feeling and how it stayed with me well into adulthood.

My life has evolved since then, but this feeling lingers. On my wrist I wear two bracelets which state my intentions for my life: acceptance and contentment. Acceptance of myself; who I am, what I am, where I am, and how I live. Contentment brings in acceptance; to accept what I have, who I am, and living my life from there.

Contentment or Santosha, according to Patanjali, the author of the Yoga Sutras, were created as a guide on how to live one's life. Santosha, the second of the Niyamas (which looks at five practices we can do for ourselves), "asks us to focus on contentment; to be grateful for what is."
(https://www.fivepillarsyoga.com/exploring-the-eight-limb-path-the-niyamas/)
Yoga and Meditation aid us in deeply listening to these stories that find their way into our minds. As we practice we begin to, "identify and familiarize yourself with our stories, and as a result we begin to see them for what they are, just stories." ( https://yogainternational.com/article/view/is-santosha-contentment-really-possible  As we listen we then can see the story for what it is and then look at what is in front of us. From this we can begin to take ourselves away from the story and to ourselves. Hopefully, we then can create a story that fits where we are in our lives. 

Take yourself through this sequence. As you do to keep yourself in the present; leaving the obstacles, the distractions aside, for they are not serving you. Practice non-attachment. Let go of certain things, situations, and ideas about life. Instead practice Santosha; to be content, to accept what has happened and learn from it. To be grateful.

PRACTICING PRESENCE

OPENING/BACK
Constructive Rest/Breath Work
Dead Bug
Bridge w/BLOCK


TABLETOP
CNC-Cobra
Hip Circles

SUN SALUTATIONS
Low Lunge w/BLOCKS
Low Lunge w/Twist

Low Lunge/Lizard w/BLOCKS
FF
REPEAT

STANDING
Chair
Crescent Prep/Hold
Warrior I
Pyramid w/ BLOCKS
Standing Needle
Chair
FLOW/REPEAT

BALANCE
Chair
Standing Figure 4
Knee up & Out
FLOW/REPEAT

GODDESS BREATH

C.P

FLOOR/SEATED/BOLSTER OR BLOCK
Seated Shoulder Work
Seated Twist

BACK
Bridge
Leg work w/STRAP Legs up the Wall
Knees In/Over

SAVASANA
" I accept myself for who I am."

I found this poem and its words resonated with the idea of Santosha. Read it before your practice and chose your Sankalpa (intention) from any stanza or a thought that comes from your reading.

Life Is a Flow: Relationships

Life is a flow…
A constant flux…
Relationships…
Are sometimes full of Sun,
And
Sometimes covered with Snow.

They sleep and wake as the Seasons do,
And a Thousand Times, we say ‘YES!’ and ‘SURE!’
And a Thousand Times, we say ‘NO!’

And our Absolutes and Bottom Lines
Define Us,
More than we know,
For wanting what we want, is not a Sin,
No more than NOT wanting what we DO NOT want, is…

And… ALWAYS!
The mix is different
And people come
And people go,

And… relationships…
Sleep, and wake, and drowse,

And sometimes we stretch the rubber band of Closeness and Expectations too far
And it loses its elasticity!

But usually,
We stretch-and-contract, stretch-and-contract,
Say ‘NO!’ to this, and ‘YES!’ to that…
And it’s all good!

O!  Heart!  Do not be troubled!
O!  Soul!  Be not afraid!

For everyone is doing the best that they can,
And sometimes, people die.

(One day, we’ll ALL be gone
And there is not a thing
We can do about it)

And Hope lies in Flexibility,
In not really expecting anything from anybody,

But being Grateful,
For whatever IS,
And whatever comes…

And the world is filled
With Gifts and Surprises,
If we only accept what IS,
And stop wanting, expecting, and needing Life
To always be other than it is!

O!  And THEN, there is LOVE!

And THAT is MYSTERY!


                                                            Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra 
BallMindYoga Facebook Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment