Friday, August 23, 2024

Keeping your Digestive Fire Burning during Times of Transitions

 

Andrea Russell, a devoted yoga teacher, Ayurvedic Specialist/Counselor and a person I consider my teacher/mentor, wrote a piece on the importance of cleansing our bodies of the toxins that may "clog the channels in our body and mind." When we transition from one Dosha season to the next cleansing our bodies is way to take away that which we no longer need and prepare the body for the next season. I am very much a novice when it comes to understanding and implementing the ideals of Ayurveda. But, I can also state that since I have brought these ideals into my life I am much more in-tune with my body; especially my gut. 

There are variables besides the changing of the seasons that may have an affect on your digestive health. I believe that the ever changing and challenging times we are in currently have truly impacted our digestive system. Our "gut" is the barometer of our feelings. My gut has had some issues and I relate that to the instability of the times and my response to it. We have faced adversity before, but the issues we are faced with today are numerous and they are diverse; from health, to politics, to economic, and social. Many of the people I teach have stated that they are feeling socially and emotional drained, and as a result, don't feel good.  I can see Ms. Russell telling us that,  "Everything we eat, think, feel, and experience must be digested. How well we can digest, assimilate, and eliminate will predict our physical, mental, and emotional health." (Russell) 

I imagine this fire burning in my digestive tract helping me to break down and digest what I eat. My body, my gut, which I have a love hate relationship with, at times, lets me know when things aren't right. Russell would tell us that, "When our digestive fire, or agni, is burning well, it digests and assimilates everything we take in. When experiences or foods are not fully digested it creates ama, a toxic buildup that clogs the channels in body and mind." 

Signs of ama buildup are a foggy mind, thick coating on the tongue, fatigue, poor digestion, foul breath or body odor, nausea, gas, bloating, weight gain, loss of appetite, excessive mucus, joint pain, muscle aches, weakened immunity and disease". (Russell) Think about how you feel, in your gut, when the foods you eat are not being digested. I can say, from personal experience, that I know when I my digestion is struggling. I believe that recognizing and tuning into our digestion is one of the first steps to a creating a healthy lifestyle of eating. 

***If you would like to learn more about your digestion and how to cleanse your body please contact Ms. Russell. She would love to work with you. 
I have learned so much about my body from her.
Andrea's website: https://andrearussell.com/about/

 Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra 
BallMindYoga Facebook Page 

                      

Resources: 
https://yogainternational.com/article/view/ayurvedas-guide-to-health-in-every-season
https://www.pukkaherbs.com/en/wellbeing-articles/what-the-seasons-mean-for-your-dosha.html

No comments:

Post a Comment