“This is the time to be slow,
Lie low to the wall
Until the bitter weather passes.
Try, as best you can, not to let
The wire brush of doubt
Scrape from your heart
All sense of yourself
And your hesitant light.
If you remain generous,
Time will come good;
And you will find your feet
Again on fresh pastures of promise,
Where the air will be kind
And blush with beginning.”
John O’Donohue
O’Dohohue’s poem resonated with me and I wanted to share it with you. For the past months our lives have been impacted by Covid; impacting family and friends, and sadly, in some cases tearing them apart. We have been impacted by the election and the pure negative attacks by all; impacting family and friends, and sadly, in some cases straining their relationships. We have been impacted by the various protests, seeing scenes that make ones heart sad and your mind crazy; again impacting family and friends, and sadly relationships have been challenged. We have been impacted by the fires in our beautiful forests, sending families scrambling for safety and firefighters scrambling to save those same families. Even these have become political. I am tired, we are tired. And so, when I discovered O’ Donohue’s words I found myself internalizing the message he is sharing. Many of us are “lying low until the bitter weather passes.” I can see myself hunkering down, turning inward, away from the onslaught that has, seemed to, be the norm. Chaos and confusion. Uncertainty and doubt. Anger and frustration. Our emotions are being challenged.
“Try as best you can,
not to let the wire brush of doubt,
scrape from your heart,
all sense of yourself
and your hesitant light.”
This stanza brings out so much emotion for me. I can visualize this giant brush and each bristle is one of the many dilemmas we are faced with tearing at us trying to take away parts of us and the light that burns within diminishes. But, I believe, for many of us, we live by the belief, that we look for the positive; to not lose ourselves in the mire of doubt.
If you could have for props: Mat, Blanket, Blocks (or two equal sized books), a Strap of some sort, and a Firm Pillow by your mat before practice, that would be wonderful.
Gentle Practice: Allow Yourself to Slow Down
For those that do not attend the regular zoom Gentle Yoga class the cost is $10.00. Payments can be made to:
Resources:
Wall photo:https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/new-england-stone-walls


No comments:
Post a Comment