Friday, July 5, 2024

Questions Posed by Those I Teach

     Questions abound regarding the teachings and practices of Yoga. Throughout my career as a teacher I am often approached and asked questions about various topics. I am by no means an expert in the practices and teachings of Yoga; but if I don't have a confident answer I will do research to find an answer. In the end both of us learn a bit more about this fascinating way of life.

     A group of us had gone through a class that I teach called Core & Balance. As the name states we work on targeting and strengthening the torso and then use this to take on balancing asanas. We had finished the class when one of my students asked if we could chat; she had a couple of questions that had come up during our time together. The first question surrounded the way that we are often asked to breath during our practice. My student stated, "I often hear from you and other teachers that we should breath in and out through our noses... why is that? I have to be honest and say that I often exhale through my mouth. I can't exhale through my nose."  For her, she often finds that she breaths better if she opens her mouth when exhaling. 
     I asked her if she always exhales through her mouth. (if this is a common way that she breaths to do something different might be difficult). From what I could gather she doesn't always exhale through her mouth; but if the movements are difficult or feel difficult she can not exhale through her nose; she needs to open her mouth and exhale. 
    There are studies that have been done which have taken a look at the way humans breath. The Cleveland Clinic wrote an article on mouth breathing. In the article the clinic tells us the differences between, "nose breathing and mouth breathing. "When your breath through your nose, tiny hairs called cilia filter out debris like allergens and pollution. Your mouth doesn't offer that protection." In addition, the study found that, "your lungs and throat function better with moist air. Your nose has bony structure that handle that task. Air through mouth is drier." Lastly, "our lungs and throat thrive on warm air. When you breath through your nose, the air you take in gradually warms up until its closer to body temperature, making it easier for your tissues to absorb."   
     Alexandra Benisek, a staff writer at WebMD, who publishes medical articles states that," Most people naturally breath through their noses almost all of the time. But some people develop mouth breathing later in life or are born as mouth breathers due to their bodies structural makeup." A person could have a nasal blockage which prevents them from breathing comfortably in and out of their nose. Allergies can cause stuffiness, which in turns affects the way one breaths. 
       Yoga Journal, a magazine which focuses on the many facets of yoga was asked a similar question and their response, very similar to the medical professions statements, "asana practice should never be done while breathing through the mouth. Both inhalation and exhalations must be done through the nose. It moistens the air, thereby preventing drying of the lungs, it warms the air, thereby preventing lung diseases such as asthma and bronchitis; and it filters the air, preventing particulate matter from reaching the lungs." 
I will share my research results with my student and it will bring out a wonderful discussion. 
    The second question posed to me (by the same student) was why we don't do movements such as those used in Pilates in the Core & Balance class I teach. What is the difference between Pilates and Yoga? If we are working on strengthening the torso why wouldn't we bring in more pilate type exercises? I had to be honest with her and say that I have never done pilates and know little about their philosophy. I do teach at a studio that has a Pilates class, but I have not taken one. So, off I went to do some research so that I could give her a somewhat educated answer. 
    There are some similarities. According to Amanda Mactas, author of, Yoga versus Pilates: How the Workouts and Benefits Compare According to Fitness Experts, talked with Jacqui Kingswell, a certified Pilates Instructor about these two methods. Kingswell stated that, "both Yoga and Pilates are low impact, welcoming for all fitness levels, and gentle on your joints. You are increasing awareness of your body and breath, and you are often encouraged to focus on your breathing technique to keep centered." But there are some differences. 
    Yoga is, for me, about bringing mindfulness and spirituality into my life. Yoga focuses on the connection between the physical poses (asanas) and the breath (pranayama).  Yoga is over 5000 years old (pilates originated around the 1920"s).
Benefits of a yoga practice include: improved balance, enhanced sleep, 
flexibility, eases of lower back & neck pain-stress related illnesses (headaches)-some symptoms of menopause; a sense of over all wellness. 
    Pilates is, about muscle toning, body control, improving posture and increasing flexibility. In addition, pilates, from what I have read, is about "adopting a position and then challenging one's core my moving the arms and legs." It is not an aerobic exercise program. Core strength and stabilization are its goals. 
    I so enjoy having these conversations with my students. I want them to feel comfortable asking me any question. In the end we both learn a bit more about our practice.

Resources: 
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/mouth-breathing
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22734-mouth-breathing
https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/yoga-sequences/take-a breath/
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/difference-between-pilates-and-yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment