![]() |
| Let our thoughts blow in the wind. |
My yoga practice takes me to several studios, each brings what I need; be it the singing of AUM, a 95-degree
room, or a practice that focuses on the body and its alignment.
Today,
my practice took me to Marta and the singing of Aum. I love practicing with
Marta, her voice is calming; she has a way of connecting breath, body, and
mind. I begin my practice as I normally do; laying down my mat, gathering my props and putting out my journal. As I sat in a quiet meditation before class began I looked out the window
to see fall in its most beautiful glory. And, there in front of me was a
milkweed plant with its seeds blowing in the wind.
My mind
journey began. As I came up into Bitilasana: Cow Pose a breeze blew, the milkweed plant would bend, but
the seeds stayed intact, stayed clinging to the stalk. Staying on our hands and knees in Tabletop we
moved to Parighasana: Gate Pose, and as I stretched my arm out over my ear I looked at the plant; I
had become mesmerized by wind bending the stalk to and fro wondering what would happen to the seeds. Was there a
metaphor emerging? A gust of wind tore a seed away and it floated a few
feet away where it stuck to another milkweed stalk. I thought, was does this
mean? Are these seeds like the thoughts in our mind, thoughts that when we come
to our mat, are often told to put aside without judgement. And yet, even when
we try some thoughts may move on, but others remain close, somewhat elusive. A thought
that would fight to stay just on the periphery, waiting its turn to come
back.
I love
Tadasana: Mountain Pose, to feel grounded to the earth brings so much energy to my body and
mind. I feel connected. Marta had the class take our arms out into
goalposts, broadening through our collarbones shining our heart chakra
outward. I looked out at the horizon and noticed that one of the seeds was
floating, floating around in circles, coming close to the stalk, and then a sudden gust of wind sent it up and away, going higher and higher. I pondered, had this
thought decided it was not needed, and could take itself away?
What can this milkweed and its seeds teach me? All through my
practice my eyes returned to the plant to see what would happen next. Where
would the next seed go? And, did the wind decide or did the plant, or the seed decide? I was
continuously drawn back to the milkweed, wondering if a seed would depart and
where it would go.
Seated in a Upavistha Konasana: Seated Wide Legged Forward Fold, I moved my body to feel the lengthening of my spine and inner thighs bringing my
elbows down to the mat, my eyes traveled out to the garden. The milkweed was
being bombarded by strong gusts of wind, bowing back and forth. I wondered can
the seeds also stay strong or will they succumb to the gusts. My thought was not
even finished when a seed was torn from its pod right into a spider’s web on
the side of the building.
Seated in a Upavistha Konasana: Seated Wide Legged Forward Fold, I moved my body to feel the lengthening of my spine and inner thighs bringing my
elbows down to the mat, my eyes traveled out to the garden. The milkweed was
being bombarded by strong gusts of wind, bowing back and forth. I wondered can
the seeds also stay strong or will they succumb to the gusts. My thought was not
even finished when a seed was torn from its pod right into a spider’s web on
the side of the building.You can only imagine the analysis that began in my
mind. What did this mean? Do we have thoughts that want to move on only to be
caught in our minds web? And, what kinds of thoughts are these? Ones that feel they are important and the mind or the person does not realize it.
Our
practice was drawing near to its close and we were brought into meditation.
Normally, I close my eyes and let my breath calm my mind and body. But, I found
that my lids staying open a bit to watch the milkweed and its seeds. To watch
the seed that had become mired in the spiders’ web, wondering if it would free
itself. When I did close my lids I saw the garden, the pod, and its seeds in my
mind and this blog began to take form. The milkweed is our mind and the seeds
are our thoughts. Whether it is a gust of wind or an event in our lives, the
seeds, our thoughts may take many different journeys.
Love to hear from you. Thanks: Debra
BallMindYoga Facebook Page


No comments:
Post a Comment