This is how I feel as I sit here and write this blog. South Carolina agreed with me. The mornings were cold, 40 degrees awaited me as I rode my bike to yoga class. I could handle it though because I am from Wisconsin (no whining here!). But, you know, it felt good to feel the coolness, to wake me up before I placed down my mat in the warm room. I have come to this particular studio for the last three holidays I have taken with a group of friends to Hilton Head. I become the student and rejoin the yoga community I practiced with before.
The teachers are the same and even some of my fellow yogis are familiar. One can truly sense the Sangha (community) in the room; the room is warm and so are those that are with me. The community of yogis are talking about their practice, they support each other during the class when they see their neighbor struggling, and the teacher brings the group together with different breathing techniques and asanas. As I walk out and put on my layers before hopping on the bike for my three mile ride back to the house on the beach I pause, close my eyes and smile. I always learn adaptations, modifications of asanas and often a new asana I have not seen before. But, that is just a small fraction of what I walk away with. I leave feeling welcomed, loved, and refreshed.
Riding my bike I begin to form my lesson to share with my community when I return to those that I teach. Let's start by describing Sangha. Sangha (according to Yogapedia.com): is a Sanskrit word with meanings such as, "association"-"assembly" and "community." In Buddhism a sangha is a community of monks and nuns. Sangha in this sense has been expanded to include Buddhist practitioners. Sangha is one of the Three Jewels in Buddhism along with the Buddha and Dharma: teachings.
When we connect the idea of Sangha to Yoga the community it becomes this shared community among those that practice together. One of the many facets of yoga that I appreciate, as a teacher and as a practitioner is this feeling of community that envelopes those that are on their mats together.
![]() |
| Touching-Sharing-Embracing Community |
"Sangha hastens the learning process, it works to break down barriers, and provides support for a true spiritual practice." We, "learn to center ourselves, to be inclusive, and to accept the broader community." (Yogapedia.com)
The sequence this week will focus on creating flows in which we support each other limbs (Warrior III), locks hands while in Tree in order to create the foundation of our community. We will breathe together. And, we will place our hands on our heart center and share Namaste, bringing our Sangha together.
The sequence this week will focus on creating flows in which we support each other limbs (Warrior III), locks hands while in Tree in order to create the foundation of our community. We will breathe together. And, we will place our hands on our heart center and share Namaste, bringing our Sangha together.
Resources:
Sangha Description: www.yogapedia.com
Poses: www. yogadunk.com
www.yogatrail.com

No comments:
Post a Comment